yow wrote
>Hi everyone.
>
>I've been reading now for several weeks while I have been trying to get a
>diagnosis from my neuruologist, who has been calling my condition
>parkinsonism--right hand resting tremor and rigidity/slowness of movement,
>weird feeling of having to consciously move my legs to maintain a normal
>gait, poor balance (no falls), problems with complex mental stuff, like
>project planning at work, intermittent depression (although on 40mg Paxil).
>Yesterday the neuro started me on Sinemet 50/200 to see what the response
>would be; I  my first dose this morning, but so far nothing noticeable.

The first neuro that I did consult did not make te diagnosis
parkinson,because my symptoms had developed to rapidly and because I was to
young. In fact I had symptoms many years before but they had within a few
months grown rapidly. I had in the summer climbed a mountain in the Alps
and could a few months after that not walk to the railway station less than
100m. from our home. But a resting(or non intention tremor) I had that
already about 20 years before. After the refusal of the first neuro to take
my symptoms seriously I was hospitalized in a hospital with a department
for"extra-pyramidal" disturbances. They came with the diagnosis of PD
nearly immediately, but feeled not really sure of it before the sinemet
showed to have much influence. I remember very clearly the feeling of that
first dose of sinemet.

I guess I'm in my being scared mode today.My symptoms have been coming on
>for about 3 years now, very slow progression, so neuro is  not saying
>"Parkinson's Disease" but Parkinsonism. Parkinson's disease, he says,
>progresses rapidly and becomes bilateral quickly. Also says that only1/200
>of people with parkinsonism have true Parkinson's Disease, and that
>parkinsonism can have a number of causes and is mimicked by other
>neurodegenerative diseases.  So I'm confused today too.
>
>And concerned about whether the meds will help. I've let go of what seems
>to me like a lot over the last 3 years--guitar playing, my ability to smell
>things, handwriting... And I know that many have let go of a lot more. But
>I grieve this loss and am desperate to hang on to the many things I still
>have that bring joy.
>
>Being at work semifunctional is very isolating. I'd like to join in with
>this cybergroup, get and hopefully give support. Am I in the right place,
>even with a somewhat inconclusive diagnosis?
>
>I like what Don said earlier today: about "only" having PD. What a great
>perspective.
>
>Best to all,
>
>Rick

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]