Hi again-

PD is often misdiagnosed early in its course.  However I believe that it is
usually diagnosed as something else. As a physician I didn't seriously consider
PD, when I started developing symptoms 1-2 years prior to diagnosis.  My main
contact with PD as a psychiatrist was drug induced parkinsonism  like Delda's
husband had experienced. As my symptoms gradually increased which  were what I
perceived as weakness in the left arm and slowing of my walking.  It was
complicated by the fact that I had polio as a child and I thought I had
post-polio syndrome.  I worked with a neurologist who was a good friend and that
was a mistake.  As I went through multiple mri's  and other tests and found
nothing and symptoms progressed we both became more frustrated.  At one point I
saw a diagnosis of a conversion disorder by someone who had given me an EMG.
(That is another way of saying "Its all in your head".)  I wasn't referred to a
psychiatrist because one of the psychiatrists they refer to was ME!!! After
consulting with a neurosurgeon because I had some arthritic changes in my neck
and finding out I did not have spinal cord compression, I asked my then very
distraught neurologist friend if because of our relationship (my wife was also a
good friend of hers as were 2 of our kids), if she would prefer that I see
someone else.  She jumped at the opportunity and I wound up seeing one of her
partners who I knew only as a professional colleague and not socially and by
that time my symptoms had progressed to the point that he made the diagnosis on
the first visit.

I think my story especially for at that age (early 40's), and the fact that I
had some other conditions confusing  the clinical picture- is rather typical.
For physicians who don't work with PD day in and day out there is a tendancy to
miss the diagnosis especially in younger people.  I have heard relatively few
cases of PD being diagnosed in people who don't have it (except for PSP) and
some other first cousins of PD.  Benign Familial tremor might be another
exception but that can be differentiated especially on clinical course.

Charlie

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
Middleton, WI