Research suggests everybody has the power to be creative

Glenn Close seems to take on the persona of the characters she portrays - from
a fiendishly twisted lover stalking Michael Douglas in Fatal Attraction to the
mother of Mel Gibson in Hamlet.

Ms. Close, a 12th generation New Englander and graduate of the College of
William and Mary, is clearly remarkably gifted and deeply talented, standing
apart from the applauding masses.

So, too, is dancer Darcey Bussell, who expresses subtle grace and elegance in
her roles. Born in London and educated at the Royal Ballet School, she is
heralded as a quintessential modern virtuoso anchored in the tradition of
classical ballet.

These extraordinary creators strive for the poinnacle of artistic expression,
earning a place among an elite cadre of actors, dancers, musicians, and other
creative talents.

In a world captivated with the magic of the arts and fascinated with the
mystique of celebrity, they influence the views and values of those who admire
them.

Now, a growing body of research suggests that enormous powers of creativity
can flourish in the 'ordinary' people who normally sit in the audience.

While most will not become renowned actors, dancers, musicians or painters,
many can tap creative reserves to become more effective on the job or to find
outlets of their own expression.

Experts also stress that creativity can be rekindled later in life, presenting
exciting opportunities to a new generation of late bloomers.

Best-selling author and psychologist Howard Gardner has studied the creative
process for more than 15 years and has written extensively about the traits of
extraordinary creators.

His latest book, 'Extraordinary Minds' [Basic Books], examines the attributes
of Mozart, Freud, Gandhi, and Virginia Woolf and seeks relevance for the rest
of us.

Dr. Gardner discovered that the super-achievers had a special talent for
identifying their own strengths and weaknesses and an ability to honestly
examine events in their own lives.

Most extraordinary performers suffered numerous losses but persevered, turning
their setbacks into successes.

In Dr. Gardner's view, these traits proved more important than raw mental
power.

Dr. Gardner essentially undercuts the traditional definition of intelligence,
arguing that flexibility, perseverance, open-mindedness, and courage can be
more important than high IQ scores.

He also points out that many extraordinary creators maintain or rekindle a
childlike innocence in their later years, refusing to recognize barriers in
their pursuit of ideas.

Albert Einstein once said, 'I sometimes ask myself: How did it come about that
I was the one to develop the theory of relativity? The reason, I think, is
that a normal adult never stops to think about problems of space and time.'

How can this be applied today? Lynn Weiss is a case in point.

For years, Ms. Weiss worked as a professional counselor but quietly crafted
stories, sculptures, and paintings in her spare time, 'feeling likea thief
skulking around in dark alleys late at night'.

Finally, she listened to an inner voice urging her to ignore her fear of
failure and become an artist.

'I learned to listen to my heart - and listened carefully. I found a part of
me that had been locked away for a long time', she said.

by R. J. Whittier
Third Age News Service
Dallas Morning News

janet paterson
50-9 / sinemet-selegiline-prozac
almonte-ontario-canada / [log in to unmask]