Martha, (and others) if you need to take a wheelchair in and out of a car
trunk, you can get a device that mounts in the trunk, and has a cable that
attaches to the chair, an electric motor and a swinging boom that allows you
to attach the chair, and by pressing a button the chair is lifted high enough
to just gently swing it into the trunk, and of course the process is reversed
to remove the cahir and place it on the ground. The device costs about $1000,
BUT,  I believe all the American car makers will supply it and install it free
of charge on a new car. I know General Motors does it, or at least they did it
in 1994, on a Buick LeSabre. I believe you pay for it and get a reimbusement
check back later. It has something to do with a program that pays for devices
for the disabled.  Even if you are not buying a new car, I would contact a new
car dealer and find out if it is still available.  I have used it and except
for minor problems attaching the cable to the chair, it works very well.