To:  Lionel Modra, Larry Fleming & Nancy V.
       You have each asked me for the citation to the
Selegiline study I referred to in my posting of 2/11/98.
>>>Can you point us to the study on the neuroprotective
effect of selegiline that you mention. Or perhaps post it.<<<

     Dr. Matthew Stern, M.D., the head of the Movement
Disorders Center, at the University of Pennsylvania, Phila.,
published "A dose-ranging study of selegiline in PD
patients," in the July 1997 supplement to Neurology , 49(1
Supp 1) - S2 - S9.  Patients were tested on various doses
(5mg or 10mg daily & 10mg or 20 mg weekly).  24 patients
took part.  The conclusion was that 20mg weekly was the
minimal dose necessary to achieve maximum
neuroprotective activity.
     Anyone should be able to retrieve a summary of the study
from the National Library of Medicine-Medline search, using
the locator citation PMID: 9222270.  To access Medline I use
the URL  from my old account:
http://130.14.32.42/cgi-bin/startIGM?account=&password=

however, now you should to be able to gain free access
using -
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/databases/freemedl.html

another source for this information might be Janet Peterson
who occasionally posts Medline Abstracts -

     Since the beneficial effect of selegiline has been debated
in this forum recently, you may wish to read the following: