Dear Debbie,
I really like that direction of helping symptoms. For myself, I do best when
I'm focused on the present, be it the movements of myself, the surroundings,
whatever. I feel this is the same thing as what you are saying with a
"self-conscious activity". The only way I can connect this to an "unconscious
activity" is that they are both a low-stress activity and we all know how
stress can wipe us out.
On an added note, when you talk about concentrating on the "symptoms and
going through the motions step by step" it sounds like an article on my
Webpaper by Clement Meadmore called "Overcoming Parkinson's". Readers can
find it at  <http://www.cloudnet.com/~mandms/MindBody.html>. I encourage
anyone to read it and react. I'm sure it will generate opinions.