Dale Severance wrote:

>  . The second part of the mission statement for the Alliance tried to focus in
> on the Parkinson patient and family now. To that end Lupe McCann and I felt
> that  there is a need for a day care center  for the Parkinson Caregiver.
>
> What we envisioned was a place where a caregiver could take the patient  and
> leave that person for the day. An experienced person would staff the center to
> provide care while the main caregiver just got a day of rest or took care of
> special chores with out the burden of looking after the PWPD.
>
> I ran this by some officials in my area and we may be close to setting up a
> day care center along the following lines.
>
> A medical facility would donate space and provide one or more residents to
> staff the center as needed.
>
> Each person entering the center would be examined by the resident briefly and
> any applicable insurance would be charged for an office visit for the days
> stay.
>
> If an applicant lacked insurance or funds to pay then the service would be
> provided free.
>
> The day care facility would be available to all caregivers of any serious
> disease and not limited to just CG of PWPD.
>
> Before we explored further it was suggested that I try and determine if this
> was a tool useful to the caregiver and would they utilize the facility.
>
> My request is for some feed back from the cg on this list.
>
> Perhaps the CG listserv could also consider this issue.
>
> Thanks for Lupe and myself
>
> Dale Severance

Dale,

Hi!  Some thoughts about the daycare center is that their is a need for
one, but consider the facility NOT have the age restriction of 55 and
older age restrictions like so many "senior" centers have for their
activities.  Many pwp and and pwp+ are not in this age range. In the
area of Cleveland,Ohio we are restricted from many activities due to our
age being younger that the typical proposed age.  I don't think that the
being involved in the community activity should be based totally on age
, but should consider the severity of the disease,ect.

The daycare center is a great idea and I have always have liked the idea
of a daycare center for adults that would have a wide range of
approperiate activities.  I know my husband would like this arrangement
for the future due to families not living as close to one another as
historically they once did,and the center would be a wonderful way for
him to be able to go on his overnight business trips,ect.

Thank You,

Nancy M. [log in to unmask]