Brian,

I have no idea if this is accurate or not...but at a Parkinson's Disease
lecture given by a research scientist at National Institutes of Health
in Bethesda Maryland...we were told that only a PET scan would be able
to show the living brain and show how much of the substantia nigra was
still functioning and be able to determine your dopamine levels...it was
so expensive to run the 2 day testing involved that it was only done for
research purposes (even though it really could confirm a diagnosis of
Parkinson's in the research subjects).

When an audience member asked if a research volunteer could then be
informed as to the percentage of dopamine producing cells that were
found from his own PET scan results, the researcher said that
information would be made available to them if they requested.

Regards,

Gail Vass  email  [log in to unmask]