Hi Will,

You wrote:

>My theory in regards to your discussion is that I think that the
healthy
>brain produces an over-
>abundance of dopamine which for the most part ( 80% ? ) goes wasted
or gets
>amortized by other substances, like MAO and others. We know there
are
>plenty. Only when the death of cells causes an additional loss of
dopamine,
>will a shortage become evident.
>Does not this sound quite different than assuming that we can lose
80% of
>producing cells
>or 80% of dopamine production before we notice the effect?

The fact that we can loose so much of our substantia nigra AND the
dopamine it produces before the onset of PD seems to indicate that
the uneffected brain does indeed produce an over-abundance of
dopamine. However I think you will find that it has been established
by researchers (as opposed to assumed by us) that "we have lost in
the region of 80% of the substantia nigra AND the dopamine it
produces before symptoms appear and a diagnosis can be made" (the bit
in quotes is my new catch-all wording).

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 48/11
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/