The physiological changes in our brain and body, that go together  with
performing a "'mental" task are less evident than those which go together
with emotions. Being afraid or angry, we feel our hart going faster and
without knowing all details of what changes,  we feel fear and anger as a
reaction of our whole body: the fight or flight reaction. A heightened
adrenaline level is a part of this reaction. This reaction or mental "
state" is called "arousal".

 When we are performing a mental task like arithmetic or reading or
trying to remember something, or all those activities that need
concentation,  physiological functions change  in a different pattern
that is called  "activation". The neurotransmitter  "acelylcholine"
belongs to this "state". Acetylcholine is used in the parts of the brain
that are involved in cognitive and memory  functions. Changes  that are
caused by activation are, among others:  a more efficient collaboration
of  different parts of the brain  and a more regular hartbeat. We can not
feel the changes that are taking place in our bodies being " activated"
and that is why it is for many people natural to accept  that fear and
anger have physical consequences but not that performing mental tasks has
physical consequences  also.

I hope I have answered your question. I don't know what exactly the
consequences of "activation" are for the symptoms of PD. An influence
might exist because acetylcholine is an antagonist of dopamine. They
inhibit each other. When the brain uses more aceltylcholine it might be
that dopamine is less inhibited  and so the symptoms reduced. This is
however only a guess. Maybe anyone else has some thoughts which have some
firmer ground about this.

                                                      Ida Kamphuis,
Holland

</bigger></fontfamily>

Debbie wrote:

>When talking to my father tonight (caregiver to my mother Joyce, 68/1

>year), he mentioned that he had heard that during sleep, sometimes PD

>symptoms disappear. I recall reading this on the list.I also have read
and

>heard on this list that one can sometimes overcome PD symptoms (e.g.,

>freezing) by concentrating on them and working them out by going
through

>the motions step by step. What puzzles me is this: How is it that both

>self-conscious activity and unconscious activity can alleviate some

>symptoms? Any thoughts on this?  Thanks

>Debbie White

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]