On Sun 15 Feb, Phil Tompkins wrote:
> Marling McReynolds wrote:
>
> > I have noticed that although most of us seem to be trying to get
> > by on the least amount of meds, the doctors seems to prescribe
> > larger than needed doses for first time users, especially of
> > sinemet.  Is this my imagination?? I was on 50/200 every 4 hours
> > in the beginning . . . .
>

> If you didn't know much about PD, how would you apply these
> instructions in the case of someone who had just been diagnosed?
>
> Phil Tompkins
> Hoboken NJ
> 60/9

Hello Phil. You may not have followed my recent posts on the subject of
Sinemet taken in the early days od PD.  In thos pasts I try to explain how
and why in our early years with PD we are able to tolerate very large doses
of Sinemet - when we only need a little, and conversely why after 6 or 7
years with PD, we begin to find that just when we would like to increase
the doses, we can't because we run into dyskinesias.

The rule is: A little and often, even during those first 6 or 7 'honeymoon
years. The crude chart below illustrates the different philosophies. The
trouble is, I cannot promise any reward for economising in those early
years  - It just seems right!

|_                               Sinemet                                |
|q                                                                      |
| q                      q - mg/day that the brain can tolerate         |
|   q                                                                   |
|                        b - mg/day that the brain needs to avoid tremor|
|      q                                                                |
|          q                                                            |
|                q                                                      |
|                      q                                                |
|                            q                                          |
|                                     q                            b    |
|                                             q          b              |
|                                                  bq                   |
|                                            b             q            |
|                                    b                                 q|
|                              b                                        |
|                      b                                                |
|            b                                                          |
|____b________________________l___________________________l_____________|

                             5                           10

                     years after diagnosis

Notes:  Don't read too much into this crude graph, but it does show the
differenc between what we need (the bottom line bbb , and what we
usually get (the top line.
Note also that as drawn, beyond about 9 years, we need more than we can
tolerate, due to the onset of dyskinesias. This is where the dopamine
agonists start to help.

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>