In this ongoing dialogue, while agreeing with Stephen (quoted below) I'd
like to add the idea of trying to determine why some, like myself,
arrive at the edge of the PD abyss at a much earlier age (22 in my case)
than is 'normal.'

> There is a minority theory that a long latency period
> is the exception.  Rather, researchers should concentrate on
> the reason for the variable rates of progression of PD.  This
> theory states that nerve cell loss occurs within 1  to 2 years
> of dx and more effort should be paid to events occurring
> close to the start of the disease to establish cause (virus,
> drug induced, trauma, toxins).

So the questions are 1) What mechanism(s) bring one to the point of
having symptoms and 2) What mechanism(s) determine the slope of decline
from that point forward?

There is also the matter regarding whether it is actual cellular loss
(death through apoptosis or other mechanisms) or just functional loss in
the ability to produce and/or process dopamine.  In early disease its
probably impossible to distinguish the two.

Just some questions from the Capital.

Terry Brennan
40/18