On 02/17/98 Jim Slattery wrote:

>For what it is worth, I set out here my own set of rules for deciding
>whether or not any 'research' is valid or not:

Thanks Jim for sharing your rules for evaluating research with us. I have
never seen a better set of criteria.

In today's paper there appeared an article about a speech US Supreme Court
Justice Stephen Breyer made to the American Association for the Advancement
of Science, which is meeting in Philadelphia. He was endorsing a movement
among judges to appoint "neutral experts" to help them evaluate conflicting
scientific evidence and to assist in separating  solid evidence from "junk".
In 1993 the US Supreme Court made a ruling that gave judges wider latitude
in settling disputes with conflicting scientific evidence. Justice Breyer
was quoted as saying, "judges have a legal responsibility to act as
gatekeepers, not to resolve the scientific matter, but to keep unsound,
unhelpful, unreliable information away from the jury." And they, like us,
need help in making these judgements.

Your set of guidelines would be a useful tool for any such neutral expert to
utilize. It certainly would be a help in guiding those of us who either have
PD, or care for someone who does, in evaluating the many claims for new
drugs, health foods, or procedures that promise to benefit Parkinson's
Disease.

Martha Rohrer (CG for Neal, 77/12)