'while there may be Osteopaths in all 50 states, they are more prevalent in
some areas than others.  There is, or was at least back in the 1970's, a
fairly good-sized hospital of them in the Miami, FL area.  They were, and I
assume still are, well-respected down there.

Here In New Jersey, it's a bit of a different story.  There used to be a
Osteopathic Hospital in Bergen County, which is just this side of the George
Washington Bridge.  Back in the early 1970's one of the senior Doctors on
the staff was discovered by another Doctor to have an unusual amount of the
drug Curare in his locker. To make the story short, he was found to have
murdered 12 or 30 or some high number of patients.  The New York Times broke
the story and it became national news. Then the hospital, a small one, shut
down. This all hurt that profession's reputation in this state.  Looking
through my health plan's provider directory, it looks like  there is one
D.O. out of about 170 neurologists and neuro surgeons. Some specialties have
about 5% D.O.'s, but neurology isn't real big with them here. One specialty
where you do find them is Orthopedic Surgery, which would be hard to fake.
I also notice at least a few on the staffs of most of the states major
medical centers.