From: [log in to unmask]
I have just rejoined the list after being off for several months.  I am glad
to be back and especially to find some familar names still here.  Responding
to the question of what I am interested in.   I would be interested in
participating in a support group of Vietnam Veterans w/Parkinson's and/or a
group interested in discussing possible causes of PD.  Since these would be
special interest subjects, I understand that the group(s) would need to
schedule meetings off the listserv.   Viet Nam and Gulf War Veterans (and
their families or friiends) from all countries (Australia, Canada, U.S., Etc.)
are welcomed to join the support group.  and thaanks--Welcome Home!

Regarding my personal belief  in discussing the etiology and pathology of PD.
I do not believe we can point to a single event or factor as being the
specific cause, but in seeking probable or suspected causes---in my own case
and other Vietnam Veterans, the evidence is strong that neurotoxins (chemical
herbicides, pesticides, insecticides, repellants, in addition to Agent
Orange.) were a contributing factor.  There are similar subtle (but real)
symptoms showing up in Gulf War veterans.   Anyone who is familar with the
exposure symptoms to neurotoxins, can see them very plainly.  Often the cause
of some types of PD can be traced to an obvious injury to the brain that may
occur in a sporting event or other type accident.  In the majority of cases,
however, I am more inclined to believe that environmental neurotoxins cause
damage in some of us who may have an inherited vulnerability, are more
susceptible due to our age, and/or because of sudden or increased exposure,
over time.  A simple event, such as an accident, surgery, illness,  or even
the drugs (medication, anesthetic, etc.) to relieve pain, could be the trigger
that sets off the catastropic chemical reactions in the brain and the
emergence of major symptoms.

This re-introduction has already gotten longer than I wanted or that you want
to read.   Those veterans who have had their VA claims for neurotoxin exposure
rejected, may be interested in knowing that a Neurotoxin Exposure Treatment
Research Program has been funded.   If you can not Web Search for this
yourself and want a copy of this anouncement, contact me at:

                               Rudy      61/10 yrs dx