Brian Collins wrote:

> OK Dennis, you have had 4 shots at the target, and I am still not
100%
> happpy with your choice!

Sorry about that Brian:))

> So what is my version?
>
> The symptoms of PD become apparent when about 80% of the dopamine-
> producing cells which we were born with have died, for reasons as
yet
> unknown.

I'm not sure how this differs *in substance* from my version 2 but am
happy to add it to the list.

>1.  "The symptoms of Parkinson's become apparent when the level of
 dopamine in the brain drops by 80%."
> 2.  "The symptoms of Parkinson's become apparent when we lose 80%
of
 our substantia nigra"
 >3.  "By the time we are diagnosed we have lost 80% of our
substantia
 nigra".
> 4.  "By the time we are diagnosed dopamine levels in the brain have
 dropped by 80% ".

You also wrote:

>Also, you should be in no doubt that the Dopamine-producing cells DO
>die off. They cannot be revived; they have ceased to be; they are,
in
>short, dead. You have probably seen those slides showing the
>Substantia Nigra (the neuro's way of saying 'Black Stuff')which is
>where the dopamine is produced, and then you see a PWP's brain, and
>almost all of the pigmented cells have disappeared.

Thanks for the refresher course of PD101.  I have been in no doubt as
to the death of dopamine producing cells for some 10+ years now but
can always use the reminder. My third form latin is somewhat rusty
but is up to Substantia nigra. I presume Gaul is still divided into 4
parts.  Once again thanks for the refresher.

BTW should you ever have the time please drop in on my webpage
(address in signature group) where you will find a little booklet
entitled PD- A Personal View.
If nothing else it will provide you with information on what I do
actually believe. Someone on this list once described it as the most
easily understood introduction to PD he had encountered in weeks of
searching the net.  Should you find any mistakes in the facts
presented please fell free to point out my error.

I await your input,

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 48/11
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/