Janet

I have read with interest your ideas on allergies relating to
Parkinsons symptoms. With interest because I share in part your
views and interpretation. Firstly my history and observations.
My symptoms became obvious about 10 years ago and diagnosis
about 8 years ago. This has been followed by fairly typical
use of sinemet and parlodal which generally allow me to maintain
a functional lifestyle (working, driving etc). A month ago I began
to investigate research literature relating to symptoms and related
issues. Two weeks ago I subscribed to the pd listserver mostly out
of curiosity and notice that on my own I seem to be better in
control than most sufferers.

For a none related reason I began to investigate allergies. For the
past 3 or 4 years I have suffered at times from significant eczema
on my body (mostly back and arms). Early 1996 I read by chance a book
on ADD in children and related issues which indicated that histamines
and high potassium levels could contribute to skin problems by
producing high levels of kinines. So I gave up bananas and my skin
cleared up completely in a few days. That one incident has convinced
me that what we ingest via food, drink, washing, clothes, air and
general environmental conditions has a direct effect on our health.

Next I gave up dairy foods completely and I was able to go back to
bananas in moderation without skin problems. I had also suffered
with a runny nose whenever I ate food. This problem stopped when
I gave up dairy foods and I seem to remember in retrospect someone
mentioning that cheese could cause a runny nose.

About this time (mid 1996) I noticed that my Parkinson symptoms
were not as severe when I was on vacation. Someone even commented
on my improved appearance after I had stayed out of the city at a
beach shack for 4 days. At the end of 1996 a naturopath mentioned
that liver stress is a general cause of allergic reactions. So I
began and continue with a liver friendly diet. This  involves
minimising simple carbohydrates (sugars), stimulants (caffiene)
and animal products (meat and dairy products). The emphasis is on
whole grain products and lightly cooked vegetables (stir fried).

Two immediate observations with this change of diet. Occasional
breathing difficulties disappeared. I had been bothered with the
aroma of onions on my skin when I included them in my diet. This
completely cleared up.

The next problem to investigate was why some days were good while
some were diabolical. On a few occasions when I had reason to be awake
all night (parties), aside from being rather tired, I would have NO
Parkinson symptoms the next day. I have for some years noticed an
unexplained tiredness and other symptoms which I realise now align
with chronic fatigue syndrome. A sleep study in June 1996 revealed
nothing unusual. Of course I see now that it was conducted under
clinical conditions while sleeping in an upright position. Using an
oximeter at home in recent months I have recorded sleep apnea
conditions when the staturated oxygen level in the blood has dropped
to around 85% from the usual range of 95% to 100%. Not significant
but indicative.

Of interest here is that I began to snore about 12 years before PD
diagnosis and occurences of sleep apnea about 3 years before dx.
This agrees with a study in which 38% of subjects with a diagnosed
sleep disorder went on to develop Parkinsons symptoms 4 years later.
I will send a copy of the abstract when I find where I put it.

As you are well aware there are many variables and everyone is different.
However Janet, I believe you are moving in the right direction on allergies.
For example I know I am exposed on a daily basis to many allergens
such as mould, pollen, cat fur, dust mites and pollution. There are
many insidious agents which most people may not consider. These include
chlorine in wash water, detergent residue on clothes and eating utensils,
electromagnetic radiation from mobile phone towers and high voltage
transmission lines and chemicals in building materials (formaldehyde).
After about 3 days of detox from this suburban environment I feel much
more human.

A few more of my symptoms are low blood pressure, difficulty finding
the right word, headaches for the past 20 years and waking at night.

Here are a few observations you might like to consider.
Vitamin B6 increases the level of seratonin and dopamine while reducing
histamine and eosinophil levels. Full spectrum daylight stimulates
the production of taurine (a sedative and neuro transmitter) and seratonin.
Salicylates reduce the level of taurine. Soy beans contain high levels
of B6, Zinc and methionine which all help to reduce the level of
histamines. Low levels of thiamine (B1) can allow pyruvic acid to
increase which lowers the blood oxygen level. Tannins (in tea, beans,
peas, carob) can inhibit the absorption of Zinc, Manganese, Iron and
Thiamine(B1). Low levels of Zinc, Manganese and thiamine can lower the
level of cholinesterase which in turn increases acetylcholine which
lowers dopamine levels. Cholinesterase inhibitors include apples, celery,
strawberry, pumpkin, raspberry, tomoto, potato and orange. Vitamin B6
can be found in fish, poultry, soybeans, brown rice and bananas.
Bromocryptine causes hypotension (low blood pressure).

I hope this can be of some assistance to you and I have a few questions
for you all. Do you take stimulants (tea, coffee, chocolate, cola) on a
daily basis. Do you include animal products and sugars in your daily
diet. Have you sufferered any form of sleep disorder (especially
prior to PD dx). Do you have animals (especially cats) in your
immediate environment. Do you suffer from any form of allergic reaction.
If you answer yes to any of these then I would suggest some remedial
action.

As a follow up to this is there support among the 1500 members of the
list for a formal survey of the type of questions above. I am
prepared to create a survey form, collate replies, and summarise
the results for your elucidation. My background is in computing and
data analysis. I believe Janet's ideas have some basis and a survey
would be one way to begin to clear up the muddle.

Here endeth my story which has turned out to be longer than I expected.

Time flies like an arrow and fruit flies like an apricot.

Alan Pearce 50/8
Perth, Western Australia