On Fri 13 Feb, Rick Hermann wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I've received a lot of feedback from listmembers about starting out
> treatment (46/2 months) with Sinemet (CR 50/200 once a day). My
> neuruologist explained it as: let's see if you respond to anti-Parkinson
> meds, and a trial course of Sinemet (1 month) is the quickest test route.
> If you do, we'll get you off the Sinemet and onto other meds more
> appropriate for your age and level of disease.
>
> My question, in response to cautionary advice, is: will one month's worth
> of Sinemet have significant negative effects? Should I go back to the neuro
> asap and say Hey! Let's go another route NOW. The neuro-suggested course--a
> 1-month test--makes sense to me, but I am listening to advice from this
> wonderful group with wide-open ears and a commitment to my own well-being.
>
> Meanwhile, thanks for the info on finding a MDS. I have good leads in the
> Seattle area.
>
> Best,
>
> Rick
> Bellingham, WA
> where the crocuses are up

Hello Rick ,  I realise that I didn't really answer your direct question
in my previous answer so let's see if I can do it this time.

Sinemet has no 'build-up' characteristic: You will know on the first day
if you do have a positive reaction to it, so a month just to see if you
react seems excessive.

I have another, more subtle objection , concerning the use of large doses
of Sinemet to newly-diagnosed PWPs.  Yes, your brain can apparently handle
the overdose without distress, and No, I have no proof that repeated doses
of these large amounts cause any long term damage, but I still worry about
it. One thing is sure: you don't need such large doses. I have already
written about that as well, but a more straight-forward way of looking at
it is as follows:
  If you think back to the time before the first symptoms started to show
(Usually 2 to 3 years defore diagnosis - 6 years in my case ) It is obvious
that up to and including that time, your required dose was zero. As you
probably know, you are down to the last 20% of your Dopamine-producing cells
when the symptoms show, but all that has actually happened is that you (at
2 months since diagnosis) have lost a few more cells , and all that you need
is a small amount of Sinemet to counteract the effect.  Unfortunately, none
of the drug manufacturers make a CR tablet with a release rate of (say)
10 mg/hour, so to get the same effect you would have to take half of a
tablet called Sinemet LS here in the UK - It has only 50 mg of levodopa  in
it., and the effective duration is about 2 hours, so you would get 25 mg
every 2 hours at about a constant rate. I don't know of anyone who has
taken my advice (!) and it does impose a burden taking a tablet every 2
hours. I have followed the philosophy myself since I realised the implications,
but several years had gone by in which I took more than the minimum amount.
I was diagnosed 19 years ago (Age 39) and for the last 18 yrs have taken
Sinemet- for the last 10 yrs based on my 'minimum necessary' philosophy.

Regards
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>