--------------------
Attn: George Lussier     It was actually twenty years ago when I was
--------------------     35 years old, but the memories are vivid.
I went to see a neurologist to find out why I was having so much diffi-
culty writing, getting out of my car, and why I was "walking funny."
He did a brief exam, then left the examining room.  He came back in and
said to me..."Is your husband out in the waiting room?"  He wasn't with me
but I couldn't imagine why he wanted to know.  When he said..."You are
extremely young but you have Parkinson's Disease"... I said, "What's
that?"  I honestly had never heard of Parkinson's Disease!  He didn't tell
me what it was or how it could affect me but only said..."Don't worry -
we have drugs now to treat it."  That was it.  No pamphlets or brochures,
no phone numbers to call, no nothing.  I spent the next couple of weeks
trying to research PD at libraries and bookstores and as I learned the
"facts", I felt devastated because everything was out-dated (some of the
first books I read were written before they made the levodopa discovery!)
Although over time I found out about support groups and became knowledge-
able about my affliction, I think about how much easier it would have
been if that first neurologist had just given me a few minutes of his
time.

Regards,

Janice Long (55/20)