Hi listfriends,

here is a poem I like to share with you. I hope somebody can send it to
Muhammed Ali, so he can give his reaction on it.

===========

The Greatest.

"I'm the greatest!,
no one will beat me!"
He said it for the first time,
in January 1964, when he,
whiped Sonny Liston.

He was great in deeds, words and mind.
Why do I use the word "was"
He is still great, and still very kind,
not frightning, but making a pass,
So people will carefully listen.

To me, he is a great Parkie,
just one of the long list,
but he is a special species,
when he really insist,
in telling about his illness.

Demonstrating his slowlyness,
Setting fire to the Olympic Flame,
fighting for research and to show us,
that one shouldn't be ashamed,
to have this terrifying disease.

His coping with this increasing disease,
showing it to us on worldwide television,
without hesitating, telling it as a siege,
on another opponent on his mission,
to win his last big fight.

To win from Parkinson's is the hardest,
but he is still the greatest of all,
so when he believes that he will win this match,
you fellow Parkies, you can support him,
and shout him to his greatest victory.

Support him by all means, because he must win,
without a sparring partner, this toughest match.
Parkinson won the first 5 rounds within,
a few years, just passed, but Ali is about to catch,
the rest of the fifteen rounds.

He beats Parkinson with L-dopa and Pergolide,
waiting for his chance, to end the fight.
With a real k.o.    He is searching for a weak side,
he is working on new techniques and his rights.
And this is how it sounds :

No more slowlyness, no more sorrow,
no more tremor, no more tiredness,
not any of our symptoms will be tomorrow,
just what's left is a real new kindness,
of those who won this fight.

Kees Paap
February 5, 1998