Brian Collins wrote in part:

<<<<The reason that I found Stefan's explanation of the effect of the levodopa
on the vomit centre a little hard to swallow (!) is that he has had to assume
differrent sensitivities for different people, and some people becoming
desensitised over a period of time - and I'm not sure how you explain what
happens to a person who accidentally takes a large dose of Sinemet,
say first thing in the morning before the Carbidopa has time to build up.

I am not saying that this mechanism does not exist, but I can't help thinking
that if it was the only one, a much larger proportion of us would be going
round throwing up whenever we got our dosage wrong.>>>>

I believe that the ingestion of 75 mg. per day of carbidopa is sufficient to
saturate our system. However, if I take a tablet on empty stomach in the
morning and do not take anything but water with it and no food at all, I will
usually find my stomach signalling from itself and the nausea center or maybe
"nausea universal" with a "sick" stomach feeling. I have not tried this
recently, but if I am somehow able to get in a situation where I have meds
with me but am driving somewhere and cannot get even water but take the half
pill anyway. this can get to be uncomfortable feeling if it is too long
without anything else to eat or drink.

Brian, thank you for your splendid way of accepting my critique of what you
had written. You mentioned the absence of "substancia nigra" in the brains of
deceased Parkinsonians. I have a desire to learn more about the chronology of
the coloration of the substancia nigra typical for those who acquire the
disease.  If the pathologist or etiologist you know has a reference that I
could read to get the state of the art regarding how the coloration is early
in life and all through life as PD develops, I would be very appreciative.

Very briefly, I will say why I want this information.  I know that radiant
energy (light or other electromagnetic radiation) traveling through
translucent material(s) is absorbed by darker matter inclusions with the
effect of increasing the temperature of the darker matter. Since fever has
played a role with some who developed Parkinsonism (e.g., the
post-encephalitis lethargica Parkinsonians), I am wondering if there is a
connection. If I can devise an experiment and get some things measured,
perhaps the conjecturing will lead to some useful experimentation. My learning
about this phenomenon and it's effects was in the development of some Solid
propellant rocket motors. But, sometimes concepts from one regime of science
help those in an entirely different endeavor.

enuff for now.  best wishes, ron
--
Ron Vetter 1936, '84 PD dz      paradise is feeling good, not a place to go
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter