Good news:

The steering committee composed of representatives of the APDA, PAN, PDF, NPF
and several grass roots lobbyists participated in a three hour conference call
meeting. The purpose of the meeting was to try and develop a plan to secure
the Udall Funds and place them in the hands of as many qualified researchers
as possible. I have spoken to several participants of that call and the
general feeling was that that each organization would lend its strengths to
support the task of securing appropriations and distribution of the Udall
Funds and the tone of the meeting remained cordial and cooperative.

As a result of the Alliance initiative and in conjunction with the cooperative
spirit evidenced in the conversations while the steering committee conferred,
a meeting has been scheduled to develop specific strategies to go for the
dough. The meeting is tentatively scheduled for 2/24/98 in Washington

The Parkinson Action Network is attacking the political aspect of the problem
of convincing Congress to appropriate the full $ 100 million for research. See
their prior posts and call Mike Claeys at 1-800-850-4726 to get an assignment
to help with the project.

The National Parkinson Foundation has developed a seed grant program designed
to produce a minimum of 100 grant requests to the NIH for PD research. They
have developed a strategy to include in this process support for the new
researcher in the field who just might have a new idea but can not get funding
because his line of thought  is deviant from the main line of research. But
the novel approach just might produce the piece of the puzzle to solve the
problem. The NPF has indicated the willingness to raise at least $ 1,000,000.
For this project of theirs to secure Udall research dollars.

I have not reported on the activities of the APDA because I am not privy to
their actives but perhaps some one else can comment on the APDA's agenda.

As an Alliance member I have been charged to stay up to date with Robin
Elliott who has always been cooperative and supportive. However I have been
out of touch with him for a week and will update myself with him as soon as
possible on Monday.

The next piece of good news is that a small clinical trial of GDNF has begun.
The results of the trial still continue to be good news.. Two of the patients
have reported the return of their lost sense of smell. This has excited the
physicians. They attempted to explain the significance of this finding but I
got lost in the scientific explanation. However I was left with the impression
that this was a significant event on the road to the discovery.

Jim Cordy has always been optimist that we would find a cure in his life time
and For the first time in eleven years with this disease I share his optimism.

So I say to Ivan and my internet friends cheer up February has been a good
month.
Dale Severance