Hi Debbie;

> My mother was told she has PD by a neuro. When I asked her what it was, she
> had no idea. I had to do some poking around on the Web. I think a simple
> explanation and a pamphlet to reinforce what was said would have been
> appropriate.
>

> Debbie White

When my wife finally figured out that I had PD we went to my GP and
told him. It took months to be referred to a neuro, have an MRI (and
other tests) and finally be told that I had Parkinson's.  The neuro
was cold and distant and expanded that there was no cure, that PD is
progressive, that I should prepare to quit my job, get a house that
is wheel chair accessible, prepare to surrender my drivers license,
etc.  I left, prescriptions in hand, speechless and in a daze.  He
told me nothing about Parkinson's; nothing about the Parkinson's
organizations, nothing about the movement disorder clinic and the
fine research group located right in our own city, and did not give
any written pamphlet or information.  I am still astounded that this
type of treatment can and does take place.  I don't know how to teach
neuros sensitivity but I do know how to change doctors!

Certainly a few select pamphlets are in order!

I changed neuros and discovered all the info available on my own
starting with the local library which led to the National Parkinson
Foundation and to Dr. Calne's group and on and on until I found this
wonderful "List".

I still live in the same house, drive, work, travel etc. the same as
when I had undiagnosed symptoms.  I am on medication now also.

Good health.................Murray  53/4
  (symptoms for many years before)
 .