At 10:06 AM 2/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
>As editor of the newsletter for the PARKINSON SUPPORT GROUP IN WESTFIELD
>in New Jersey I am in the process of writing the issue for our 9 March
>1998 meeting.  Dr. Golbe will be our speaker.  He will speak about his
>studies which led to the discovery of the Parkinson gene.
>
>I am requesting background information/details in reference to these
>studies that I can use in our newsletter to publicize the meeting.
>
>Thank you for any help forthcoming.
>
>Bill Williams ([log in to unmask])

Hello Bill,

If you have browser capabilities,  you can find information  about the
gene studies by visiting the websites listed below. I would be happy to
fax you information, or do searches for you, if you cannot access the internet.
Just drop me a note. I also go to Rbt. Wood Johnson - my doctor is Dr. Sage.
Let me know how you make out.

1/
http://www.nhgri.nih.gov/DIR/LGDR/PARK2/media_release.html
where you will find an article and references to NIH's role in locating the
gene. The article is biased towards emphasizing NIH's role in this discovery,
not giving enough credit to Rbt. Wood Johnson's efforts, i.e., Dr. Golbe, et al.
-----------------
2/
Science Magazine - http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/276/5321/2045
"Mutation in the -Synuclein Gene Identified in Families with Parkinson's
Disease ", Volume 276, Number 5321, Issue of 27 June 1997, p. 1973
M. H. Polymeropoulos, C. Lavedan, E.Leroy, S. E. Ide, A. Dehejia, A. Dutra,
B.Pike, H. Root, J. Rubenstein, R. Boyer, E. S. Stenroos, S. Chandrasekharappa,
A.Athanassiadou, T. Papapetropoulos, W. G. Johnson, A. M. Lazzarini,
R. C. Duvoisin, G. Di Iorio, L. I. Golbe, R. L. Nussbaum

---------------
3/
Ann Neurol 1990 Mar;27(3):276-282

"A large kindred with autosomal dominant Parkinson's disease."
Golbe LI, Di Iorio G, Bonavita V, Miller DC, Duvoisin RC

Department of Neurology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey,
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick 08903.

"We report two large kindreds with Parkinson's disease (PD) apparently
inherited in autosomal dominant fashion. Forty-one persons in four
generations have been affected; we have examined 7 of them. The two kindreds
originated in a single small town in southern Italy and therefore are
probably related. The illness was typical for PD except for early onset at a
mean age of 46.5 years and a rapid course that averaged 9.7 years from onset
to death. Clinical appearance and response to levodopa were typical for PD.
Only one instance of definite nonpenetrance is known. Autopsy of 2 patients
in one kindred showed the pathological changes typical of PD with Lewy
bodies. Disease duration among affected persons who spent most of their
lives in Italy was longer than for their affected US relatives, suggesting
that exogenous agents may influence the
course of this genetic illness. We conclude that what is probably a single
gene without an additional environmental insult can cause the pathological
changes typical of PD. Our findings therefore enhance the likelihood of a
significant genetic component in the cause of sporadic PD. By identifying a
toxic gene product, future molecular genetic studies in our kindred(s) may
provide insight into the pathogenesis of sporadic PD."

4/
The National Center for Biotechnology Information -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
is a gateway to a number of search points, including PubMed where you can
find all the articles referencing the gene project,as well as "everything
else".

Margaret Tuchman (56, Dx 1980)