Hi Janet,

Many researchers make the mistake of adopting 'a priori' reasoning just as
you have described, ie, 'everyone who has A also has/does not have B,
therefore A is a result of having/not having B."

Two of the factors that most affect the influence of PD medication on
individuals are:

1. The timing of meals and the type of food eaten, in relation to the type
of medication, and the time of its consumption, by the *individual*
sufferer.
2. The production/lack of production of mood influencing chemicals such as
adrenalin (epinephrine) and serotonin in the *individual*.

Note the emphasis here.  What affects one person does not necessarily affect
others.  The sample sizes in much previous PD research have been way too
small to guarantee the reliability of hypotheses.  If there are X number of
possibilities in a given experiment, there needs to be *at least* X number
of volunteers, *plus* X number of controls.

The only money to be made from researching PD in the past has been that
supplied by the drug companies, who could recover the cost on the sales of
medication developed from the research.  They were not particularly
interested in a *cure*, because that was a once-only profit.  (No, I don't
think I am paranoid.  Anyway, just because one *is* paranoid, doesn't mean
that the b-----ds are *not* out to get you. <grin>)

Hopefully the money available under the Udall Bill will, if it materialises,
provide incentives for larger, more universal studies.  Meanwhile our small
research team intends, if the analysis of the data we have collected
suggests such an approach, to next investigate the relationships between PD,
stress, the production and presence/absence of stress chemicals, and altered
states of mind such as those caused by hypnosis, etc.

Jim - 59/13 - Sinemet - Eldepryl
 Jim Slattery - [log in to unmask]
 Central West PD Web
 http://www.bec.net.au/~cwpdg/