At 09:01 PM 2/23/98 -0600, you wrote:
>some good sleuthing for me to find them but a friend from Lebanon  told me
>they are a staple  in the Mid-Eastern diet and can be found at Mid-Eastern
>deli's and restaurants.  Health food stores have them sometimes but they
>are expensive - about $5/pound. I found them at a deli for about $.40/lb.

Fava (faba) beans do contain natural occuring levodopa. Fava beans eaten in large quantities can cause flatulance, and dyskinesias (like any levodopa overdose).

Dr. R.A. Kempster, a well respected Australian neurologist, tested a group of his patients on a fava bean trial and produced a paper on the dietary factors in the management of Parkinson's Disease.

The following are articles available on line in the Parkinsn's Treasures Current Topics section of my website. All of the articles and studies previously available by email are there. By having them online, they are at your disposal regardless of your timezone or country.

            DIET

097 Dietary Factors in the Management of Parkinson's Disease
098 Re: Fava Beans!
099 Eating Fava Beans in Old San Francisco
100 Three Fava Bean Recipes
101 Mailorder sources for Dry Fava Beans
102 Favism, Faba, Sinemet and Parkinson's

When you get to the page, scroll down the page looking for the numbers if you can't remember the names. I have left the numbers attached for ease of finding particular articles.

If you select an article, and finish reading it, the Back button your browser will return you to the list again.

The gateway address to my site is:

http://www.ionet.net/~jcott/homepage/index.html

Click on the underlined links that have the word Parkinsn in it to get to the Parkinsn's Current Topics Archive Treasures page.

[log in to unmask]   Search the parkinsn archive online at:
                 http://james.parkinsons.org.uk
                Search the Parkinsn List Drug Database on line at:
               http://www.ionet.net/~jcott/homepage/index.html
John Cottingham