Hi George:

I agree with Murray and Mary about the project being extremely worthwhile but
the introduction of a lot of information about pallidotomy or any other
procedure done for more advanced PD is likely to be counter-productive.

You are right that MD's often do a poor job of telling people about a serious
illness.  Some soft-pedal it  e.g.  "maybe you have PD but we don't know for
sure
(when he is 95% certain)".  Others click into a clinical mode,  and give the
information in a cold clinical way.  Others are more supportive and answer
questions and try to educate.  The question  I have is whether anybody is the
"Best" person to give this kind of information. A physician rarely has enough
time
especially if the diagnosis is made on a scheduled office visit.  Should he hold
back the information until he can clear an hour in his schedule?  I don't know
the answer but I know that most MD's are scheduled fairly tightly and I also
know that I would like to see MD's give at least 30-45 minutes which is the
minimum time necessary to even begin to deal with that kind of issue in my
view.  The time problem and the fact that the job is unpleasant and nobody likes
giving a serious
diagnosis.  A number of patients will be either angry or devastated by the news
and frankly there are few people equipped to deal with the initial reaction.
Many MD's just cop out rather than confront their own inadequacies.

Different people react differently to hearing a serious diagnosis.  Some will be
angry at the doc no matter how much time they give.  They confuse the messenger
with the message.  Many will ask few questions initially as they are stunned
when they hear the news,  Many will use denial and minimize the accuracy and
the seriousness of the diagnosis.

How docs deal with these issues with patients can certainly be improved and
your idea of a packet is an excellent idea.  An invitation to call a particular
PWP to provide personal contact-  with the implicit message that PD is bad but
it isn't the end of the world.  And of course info about local and national
groups I feel should be included so that they might just show up anonymously to
a meeting.

One more point, contrary to popular opinion denial can be a useful mechanism
especially early in the illness.  Don't try undermine it in any substantial way.
For some people it is true that the illness progresses very slowly.  How many of
us assumed that they were going to be part of that group.  How many of us
refused to believe the diagnosis.  We
need that to make it from day to day and accept info in small bytes (don't
forget internet info).   I think the idea of a packet written by PWP is
excellent.  It allows people to ignore the literature if they choose and then go
back to it as they are ready to take in more data.

Good luck.

Charlie

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.