Hey Peter..... Ya missed seeing MOI at Loma Linda, too.... uhhhh.... by
about a year and a half <smile>.  I was there in October, 1994, where I became
an "official" member of the "Hole in the Head Gang."

I'd gone to Dr. Robert Iacono at Loma Linda to look into pallidotomy out of
sheer desperation AND frustration due to the complete non-involvement and
lack of current PD-knowledge of my own local neuro.

At that point in my PD evolution I'd have gone ANYWHERE to get some
relief!   I just up and made the 1 1/2 hour drive to Loma Linda one day after
calling Dr. Iacono's office and saying "I'm on my way there!" <blushing now at
my chutzpah, but that's just how desperate I was>

I thank God this one hasty decision was the right one 'cause that visit to
Loma Linda changed my life in SUCH a positive way.

Once there I met Don and Tony, finding both SO warm , caring, and nurturing
that the sense of relief - of not being all alone with the disease any longer
- was like an immense burden had been lifted from my shoulders.

Tony Schoonenberg especially got me thru the two months between my initial
exam and the actual surgery itself.   He was THAT supportive.   He was also
there for my family the entire day of my surgery and that made the unbearable
easier to  handle for them.

When I'd gone back to Dr  Iacono's for post pallidotomy check-ups, there'd
be Tony and Don Berns, still bringing their own very special and highly
personal brand of support to those who came to Dr. Iacono from all over the
world searching for PD-help just as desperately as I'd done.

Both of these men - as different as each is from the other - KNOW what
it's like to suffer from PD, and have a pallidotomy 'cause they've both
"been there, done that," which sure makes a big difference when ya talk
about PD support.

They've both been "walking in our shoes." for a long, long time...

Barb Mallut