Camilla H.Flintermann wrote:
> Carole wrote:
> SNIPPED
> >The neurologist recommended stopping the PD medication attempts-- saying that
> >it appears that Mom's symptoms stem from some other disease with the PD
> >"look".  And so.... here we are.  Three days off of Sinemet in the midst of a
> >cloud of mystery.  Months ago, my sister, Ann, and her husband had researched
> >via internet and come up with their "guess" that Mom might have  "Lewy Bodies
> >Dementia"... has anyone had experience/acquaintance with this disease?  It
> >seems that it mirrors some of the symptoms of both PD and Altzheimers... no
> >treatment, though, alas (at least, as far as we have been able to research
> >thus far).

The news about Lewy Body disease is not so good, but here are a few
minor tips that may help in your internet research: The most common
term is Diffuse Lewy Body Disease (DLBD), but that is only a vague
description of something which combines the motor deficits of
Parkinson's with the dementia of Alzheimer's. Lewy (pronounced
"leh-vee") bodies are distinctive microscopic spheres found at autopsy
in the brains of Parkinson's victims. It once was thought that Lewy
bodies were the unique hallmark of PD, but since then they are
associated with several other neurodegenerative diseases. Their
distribution in the brain seems to be distinctive for each one.
The most recent research suggests that Lewy bodies are clumps of a
common protein called alpha-synuclein, and workers are looking for
what causes the clumping, in hopes that may lead to a pathologic
key.
Joe

J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road