At 08:12 PM 2/25/98 -0700, Andrew John Conovaloff wrote:
>Prevent bath falls with leg excercises and balance techniques.
>
>As a CG I learned that people with neurological disorders who have
>orientation problems take cues visually from their environment rather from
>their inner ear. To know were up and down is, you need to see the
>walls, floor, and how people and objects are standing. When you concentrate on
>moving your hands to wash your face or shave, you probably lose focus on
>your balance and are unaware you are falling until it's too late. Your
>slowness of motion also prohibits you from reacting fast enough to regain
>your balance.
>
>I know may aunt often watched her feet to see what they were doing. With
>PSP she little balance. Upon starting to walk she randomly would step back
>or side-ways as she guessed how to move; and, though I'm 6 foot compared to
>her 5'2", she often would push us both over. Once she got into the rhythm
>of walking she could maintain a pace unless her legs began to freeze or
>stop suddenly. The same with a stationary bike, sometimes she'd start
>pedaling backwards.
>
>Before she got diagnosed in 1993, I saw her begin to drink a glass of
>water. She stood at the sink, holding on to the faucet to provide a
>reference for balance and leaned into the counter to steady herself. She
>filled the glass OK, lifted to her face and as she tilted her head up to
>drink, fell straight backwards.
>
>Hired CG would have her brush her teeth sitting but that was awkward. I
>trained her to stand with her feet a bit wider apart than her shoulders
>and leaning over the sink. It would've been best if I rigged a belt that
>fastened her to the counter. But she rarely fell while brushing her teeth
>until she tried to move away from the sink. The technique was to be
>leaning into the sink/counter to steady the body so you don't have to
>think about balance.
>
>And my last word here is to workout in a gym or at home to build up the
>strength of your legs. Do leg presses, knee extensions, stair climbing,
>steping up and down on a step stool while holding on to something for
>balance.
>

>** A.J. Conovaloff -->> "The Molokan Cyber-Cowboy" <<--
>** Molokan HomePage: http://staff.gc.maricopa.edu/~jstory/molokan

   i do not mean any thing bad about what you saying but after 26yrs ofpd
and cg i have seen it all hured it all and been therapy for a year to learn
to walk,sit down use my cane to get up. am not to use to much of lifting of
legs when i sit i have 1/2lb wheight to put on my ankle to lifed my legs.
but i thank you for your good advice I.Y.Q DON7vivian