As caregiver for MY aunt Kitty, I feel appliged to again promote the
terrific contibution of exercise (stretching for range of motion, aerobic,
and resistance). My aunt Kitty with PSP (a PD+) lived 3 years longer than
expected probably soley to us not giving into the community standard of
care--sitting and moving every 2 hours to prevent bed sores.

Hints:
- In the elderly, strenuous exercise increases natural adrenaline
production, which is what is lacking in PD. It causes your body to make
more dopamine which will supplement your pills.

- Move whenever you have nothing else to do. In the car lift your hands up
and walk them back on the ceiling to stretch. Sitting anywhere, lift your
legs alternatively to train for the rhythm of walking (left-right-left-..).
In general follow the recommended PD exercises found in most PD handbooks.

- Take meds about an hour before doing the strenous stuff, like going to
the gym. Maybe take bit more than normal for the energy.

- Take advantage of good days or periods. Work hard when possible. The PD
will give you plenty of rest time.

- Switch from aerobic (walking) to resistance (weights) to stretching
frequently with equal emphasis on all 3.

In her last years my aunt was moved by wheelchair to the gym. Sometimes
she could walk holding the handles as I guided the char. But in the gym
she did everything possible that didn't require balance. At 5'2" (150
lbs), she could leg press 200 lbs., leg extend 50 lbs., do 30 sit ups,
stationary bike up to 3 hours, walk a mile--all on good days of course.

If you can stand or walk, then you can go to the gym or set up
work stations at home. We split our time between the gym and home. At home
she'd do 10 deep knee swats while holding a stair rail bar in the hall. He
legs stiffened every day. Other home mobilty sessions were holding onto a
bar a nose level and step up and down on a large block 100 times, laying
down and stretching legs and arms, sit ups, stationary bike while watching
TV, and more.

Activity will improve bowel movements, coordination, natural dopamine,
sleep, depression, etc. the same for you as it will for me.

** A.J. Conovaloff -->> "The Molokan Cyber-Cowboy" <<--
** Molokan HomePage: http://staff.gc.maricopa.edu/~jstory/molokan