Hi, Nancy

I agree, exercise is very important for Parkies, as well as others with
chronic illnesses. Here are my 'Ten Commandments' regarding exercise.

1. Without exercise, muscles will atrophy (wither or waste away) and not
be sufficiently capable of action when needed. This includes the heart
muscles, and the muscles of the diaphragm, a muscular membranous
partition separating the abdominal and thoracic cavities and functioning
in respiration, which, together with the intercostal muscles (those
between the ribs) enables us to breathe.

2. Muscle groups that support and protect bones will no longer be strong
enough to afford that support. Examples are chest muscles protecting
ribs, buttock that protect the end of the spine and the base of the
pelvis.

3. Without exercise one becomes prone to osteoporosis, a disease in
which the bones become extremely porous, are subject to fracture, and
heal slowly.

4. If one is prone to falling, having stronger muscles can often avert
the fall, or at least mitigate the consequences.  However, if muscles
are weak, one may actually worsen the effects by attempting to recover
one's balance by, say, reaching for a railing.  Further, the fall may
fracture bones such as the femur (thighbone) and pelvis.

5. People who do not exercise often sometimes do not go outside the
house much. If one doesn't get enough sunlight (or at least ultraviolet
light) on one's skin, one can suffer from a deficiency of Vitamin D,
which is produced in general by ultraviolet irradiation of sterols found
in milk, fish, and eggs.

6. Muscles that are not exercised sufficiently and regularly cramp more
easily when any unusual demand is made of them, causing unnecessary
pain.

7. If the muscles of the calf are not sufficiently exercised, one
becomes prone to circulatory problems.  Blood in leg veins is normally
assisted back to the heart by the pumping action of the calf muscles. If
the calf muscles are not sufficiently used, varicose veins can form in
the leg, and circulatory problems can occur.

8. If one does not exercise sufficiently, and at the same time makes no
downward adjustment to the calorie intake, obesity is the usual result.
This in turn can lead to diabetes, pain in leg joints, circulatory
problems, heart disease, and other unpleasant results.

9. Lack of adequate exercise leads to a low level of aerobic
conditioning, the process that allows muscles to get and utilize
oxygen-rich blood.

10. A low level of exercise leads to a low level of self-esteem, which
leads to depression, which leads to an even lower level of exercise.

I think we have quite problems to care about, without manufacturing more
for ourselves!

Further, I agree about the personal trainer, or at least a component
person who will (gently) insist on a reasonable level of exercise.  Some
people who may not be able to perform exercises themselves, can still be
aided by 'passive' exercising, where muscle groups are stimulated by a
tiny electric current to contract rhythmically, or by using
motor-assisted exercise machines.

Remember "Use it, or lose it". <grin>

Jim Slattery
Jim Slattery - [log in to unmask]