Of importance to all our List-family!   Have a care, folks, 'cause we sure
don't want any of ya to end up as a statistic!

Barb Mallut
--------------------------------

LONDON (February 28, 1998 01:12 a.m. EST http://www.nando.net) -- Deaths due
to mistakes in medication in the United States more than doubled between 1983
and 1993, with the sharpest increase coming in deaths among outpatients,
according to research published Friday.
During that period, the number of deaths from accidental poisoning by drugs
and other medicines climbed from 851 to 2,098, said the report published in
the Feb. 28 issue of the British medical journal The Lancet.
Included in those figures is the number of deaths among outpatients, which
increased from 172 to 1,459. In 1983, outpatients were three times more likely
than inpatients to die of medication errors, but by 1993 the risk was 6.5
times greater.
"Something scary is going on and we should be worried," said said David
Phillips, a sociologist at the University of California at San Diego, who
headed the research team.
The group analyzed all U.S. death certificates that listed cause of death as a
medication mistake. The certificates did not make clear whether the deaths
were caused by a medical professional's error or patient error, the report
said.
The study did not include deaths caused by natural adverse reactions to
medicine, the researchers said.
The researchers found that the increase in death rate attributable to
medication mistakes is sharper than the increase for any other cause of death
other than AIDS, Phillips added.
He said the data show the problem is not the medicines themselves, because the
same medicines do not cause such increased death rates when they are used on
patients in the hospital.
"It has to do with the quality control of the way in which it is given or
taken or the way in which the patient is monitored," Phillips said. "They were
either given the wrong dose, the wrong medicine, or the patient could overdose
or mix it."
Significant increases in death rates were found with prescription pain killers
such as morphine and codeine, Phillips said.
But the greatest increase in outpatient death rates was found in cases of
anesthesia, where the hike has been fourfold. This indicates patient error
cannot be blamed for all the cases, Phillips said.
The report said that the number of outpatient visits to doctors increased 75
percent during the period, while inpatient days declined.
Phillips suggested a slowing of the trend toward more outpatient care, or
tighter control over the quality of outpatient care, such as home visits by
doctors or nurses to ensure the patient is taking the medicine properly.
Sherrie Kaplan, a social scientist in medicine at Tufts University, told The
Associated Press that she was disturbed but not surprised by the California
group's findings.
"This research raises a lot of questions that need to be answered about who,
how and why medication errors are occurring," she said.
"We're not teaching people how to use the health care system, we're not
preparing patients to be patients," she said.
Tom Granatir, a spokesman for the American Hospital Association, which lobbies
on behalf of hospitals, noted that it was not clear whether the deaths were
related to encounters with medical professionals or whether they were due to
voluntary drug abuse.
There are also many more medications available now than 10 years ago, which
provides more occasion for error, he added.