(From:  The theoretical heretic ...or...the ...heretical theorist..
or maybe the..rhetorical errorist....or ....hysterical terrorist?..
NO, I mean....WHATEVER....)

(This is from an e-mail I sent recently, thought it might be
list-appropriate, atopic to consider...)

         .....IF HISTAMINE WERE A DRUG......

 ...Since I know what it does to me, I'm sure you realize that I
 think that I'm not nearly the ONLY one and that's why I keep
 pressing the point.  Especially since most ANYONE can do
 a little investigating on their own and find out if it is,
 in fact, true in their case, just as I did.

 So in your case it would STAND OUT like a sore thumb, that,
 (1)  Atopy (allergic tendencies) is found in your family,
 so quite possibly you could have inherited the same tendency.

 (2) You're better away from home at times like I was.
 (We had a dog, and like you I grew up with animals all around,
 as natural to me as the trees.) Even tho' I knew I was allergic
 to cats early on it was just sort of  a nuisance - the usual
 sneezing, watery eyes etc aggravation.

 (3) As we all are aware, ANYTIME there is an emotional tie of  any kind
 we are naturally biased and it is difficult, if not impossible, to be
 totally objective.

 So, to just say what I feel, I would URGE you to try and find out
 if it is true in your case...

BECAUSE......

 If we thought of histamine as a drug, although produced in our own body
 (as we know there are many drugs (estrogen, insulin,dopamine, etc) that
 are). So if we were taking histamine as a drug by mouth I would
imagine the list of possible side effects would go something like this
in my opinion:

 !!!! CAUTION !!!!!!!

 1. VERY POWERFUL VASODILATOR: May cause orthostatic hypotension,
 heart palpitations and/or arrhythmias, swelling, SHOCK, death.

 2. MAY CAUSE SEVERE MUSCLE SPASM, resulting in, PAIN, compression
 of arteries w/ resultant brain ischemia, & mental symptoms,
 confusion, agitation, uneasiness, lethargy, somnolence, interruption
 of circadian wake/sleep cycles, hyperventilation w/possible apnea
 and/or brain cell damage and/or death because of resultant respiratory
 failure.  Swallowing, speech difficulties due to local neck muscle
 spasms. Laryngeal (voice box) edema, stridor.  Esophageal reflux
 w/ possible aspiration pneumonia.

MAY CAUSE: Incontinence, digestive effects.. Neurological symptoms:
Paresthesias, and (I believe) Parkinsonian symptoms - bradykinesia,
tremor, rigidity.

 (4) PRO-INFLAMMATORY AGENT: Rashes, inflammations, possible pneumonia.

 We would have discontinued THAT kind of drug RIGHT NOW, and
 probably the company would go out of business because of litigation
costs.

 So I think since we KNOW that ALL of us have it (those of us
w/allergies
 just have alot MORE) that we should find out by allergy tests,
 blood tests (IgE) or our own detective work, HOW MUCH of this chemical
 we have, and possible causes for having TOO MUCH - allergies,
 ischemia induced rise, etc., and take measures to correct it.

 THIS "drug" should be CAREFULLY MONITERED.  If we experience any of the
 above side effects, shouldn't we immediately "REDUCE the "DOSAGE"???
 Even tho' the  "manufacturer", "pharmacy" & "prescription writer"
 & "administerer" of the "DRUG" histamine is none other than Our
 Own Body.

What Do You Think???

Janet  [log in to unmask]

BTW, FWIW, since someone asked, I don't mind at all anyone using
my posts in any way that might help, even as an example of what
NOT to do.