At 07:13  28/02/98, E. Jack Savely wrote:
>       I don't remember what the Parkinson's pin resembles. In
>       Canada they were using the tulip. Check with Judith
>       Richards at Judith Richards <[log in to unmask]>

Tulip lapel pins are available through The Parkinson Foundation office in
Toronto. The following information was taken from The Parkinson Foundation
of Canada web site:
http://www.parkinson.ca/parp973.html

The Tulip

In 1981, Mr. J.W.S. Van der Wereld, the renowned Dutch horticulturalist,
himself a Parkinsonian, registered his prize cultivar, "The Dr. James Parkinson
Tulip", to honour Dr. James Parkinson, the British physician who first described
the symptoms of this disabling condition in 1817. In 1984 the red and white
tulip was introduced into Canada to promote Parkinson Awareness Week.

The simplicity of the tulip ideally depicts the way in which a
Parkinsonian's movements diminish as the illness progresses. This beautiful
hybrid also
represents the soul of the movement to find the cure for Parkinsons.

From the Newfoundland Chapter web site, which I believe is maintained by
Anne Rutherford:

Why tulips?

In Canada tulips are sold to raise funds for Parkinson research and they
have become a symbol of our hope for a cure. Every year we plant Parkinson
tulip bulbs in our home gardens and we ask our friends and neighbours to do
the same. When the winter snows melt, the dry brown bulb we planted grows into a
beautiful flower, and the fresh beauty of these tulips gives us renewed hope
that someday soon a cure will be found.

The story of the Parkinson tulip began in 1981 in the Netherlands when a
Dutch horticulturist, who had Parkinsons, gave the name 'Dr. James
Parkinson' to the prize winning red and white tulip he had developed. This
name was chosen to honour Dr James Parkinson, the English doctor who
described the condition in his 1817 'Essay on the Shaking Palsy'.

A few years later in Ottawa, Canada's capital city, the Parkinson's Society
of Ottawa-Carleton heard about the Dr. James Parkinson tulip and arranged to
import some bulbs. The Parkinson tulip bulbs were so popular in Ottawa that
the Parkinson Foundation of Canada began to distribute Dr. James Parkinson
tulip bulbs through its national network of chapters.

In 1988, when Newfoundland's first Parkinson support group was formed, the
12 member group sold 6,000 Parkinson tulip bulbs. Since then, close to
15,000 bulbs have been sold every year enabling Newfoundland to make a
significant annual contribution to Parkinson research.

Judith Richards