I would like to say that I have a real problem with the nominal phrase
(terministic screen, enTITLEment) "opportunities to publish."  I understand
the artificial need to publish created by tenure policies that use refereed
publication as performance indicators to judge research accomplishments.
But I would like to think that we publish, especially in composition, in
order to communicate, in order to influence our colleagues, in order to
improve the quality of knowledge and the teaching/learning for which our
discipline exists.  _Publish_ should be a verb, and publication should be a
means to a communicative end, not an end in itself.  Insofar as it is not,
there is something wrong with our discipline.

I should add that this message is not especially a response to Eric's
posting, but to the various times I have heard this phrase in recent years
(including at 4C's in Phoenix).

Rick

At 05:20 PM 3/18/1998 -0600, Eric Crump wrote:
>| CCCC/98 Online
>| http://www.ncte.org/cccc/98/
>| Where the convention leaks into cyberspace!
>
>News about...
>
>* Opportunities for Presenters to Publish

(Prof.) Richard M. Coe
English Department, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, BC  CANADA   V5A 1S6
email: [log in to unmask]
office phone: (604) 291-4316
English Department FAX: (604) 291-5737

President                   Phone:  (604) 291-5535
Faculty Association         Fax:    (604) 291-3452
Simon Fraser University     Association Homepage:
Burnaby, BC     V5A 1S6     http://www.sfu.ca/sfufa/