  Service Learning and English Studies:
  Rethinking "Public" Service

  by Aaron Schutz and Anne Ruggles Gere

  Originally published in _College English_, Feb. 1998
  Full text:
  http://www.ncte.org/forums/sles/sles.html
  Discussion forum:
  http://www.ncte.org/forums/sles/

Community/service learning projects and approaches
have percolated up in a wide range of academic
discipline in recent years, as Aaron and Anne note in
the introduction to their College English article. The
emergence of service learning as a viable approach to
education across the curriculum implies not just a new
pedagogical strategy but new approaches to learning in
general.

We may find it necessary to rethink roles and
practices that have until recently seemed relatively
eternal. This article suggests some new ways to think
about English studies and writing education, about the
roles of "student," "tutor," and "teacher," and about
how we relate to the world outside the classroom walls.

We invite you to read "Service Learning and English
Studies" and to offer your perspectives, ideas,
questions, and criticisms on the subject of service
learning, its possibilities and its problems.

--Eric Crump

Thanks to Aaron Schutz, Anne Ruggles Gere, and Louise Smith
for granting permission to put the _College English_ article
on the web for the purpose of encouraging discussion.