  | http://www.ncte.org/cccc/98/
   -----------------------------

  * Keynote Preview
  * CFP for Atlanta in 99 available
  * New web forums

---------------
KEYNOTE PREVIEW
---------------

Cynthia Selfe has generously agreed to share an extensive draft of her
keynote address, "Technology and Literacy: A Story about the Perils of Not
Paying Attention," in advance of the CCCC convention in Chicago. There is
a web forum included with the text. Responses and conversation on the
issues Cindy raises are welcome!

   http://www.ncte.org/forums/selfe/

The text makes for compelling reading and deals with some of the toughest
issues we have before us as new technologies continue to change our
economy, our culture, and our understanding of literacy and education.
Cindy urges us to *pay attention* to the forces and changes around us.
Question of access, power, and class can be avoided only at great risk to
our profession and our students.

--------------------------
CCCC 99 Call for Proposals
--------------------------

The CFP for CCCC/99 is available in two formats: PDF for those who have
Adobe Acrobat Reader (available free from http://www.adobe.com) and would
like a faithful reproduction of the printed version, and HTML for those
who would like to view the document on the web.

  http://www.ncte.org/cccc/99/99cfp.pdf
  http://www.ncte.org/cccc/99/99cfp.html

We will be accepting proposals via the web again this year, though that
option is still considered a pilot project and will be limited to
proposals in a handful of clusters. The mechanism is not ready to go yet,
so anyone who's interested in online submission, stay tuned!

Also, we've had fun the past few years kicking around session and workshop
ideas in discussion forums. This year's planning, plotting, and scheming
forum is at

  http://www.ncte.org/forums/99cfp/

--------------
New Web Forums
--------------

WAC on the Web: An Unfinished Story
George Otte
http://www.ncte.org/forums/f.35/

Epiphany Project SIG
Judy Williamson & Co.
http://www.ncte.org/forums/sg1.17/

"Same Struggle, Same Fight, Adjuncts and Students Must Unite": A Case
Study
Elana Peled
http://www.ncte.org/forums/j.5/

Interversity: Distance Education with or without Distance
Eric Crump
http://www.ncte.org/forums/n.31/