Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 16:04:03 -0600
From: barry nolan <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: message to CASSL list

Janice,

I will send this directly to you, rather than wait to get on the CASSL
listserv.  You are welcome to use it, but I think I am merely adding to
other comments that have been made, specifically Henry Hubert's point
about depending on support services and Doug Brent's ideal plan.

I began by commenting on the distinct and diverse institutional cultures
we work in—exactly the point Doug Brent makes in his most recent
capitalized message.

I have taught several of our linked Academic Writing sections, one with
a History course several years ago, and now one with intro. Biology.
Our Academic Writing course is intended for first year students,
although some put off taking it until second or even third year, so we
are planning links for students who have not yet chosen a major.  The
exception is one AW linked with a second year Environmental Studies
course.

My first comment is that support services, as Henry Hubert experienced,
can undo the best intentions.  Something went wrong with registration in
the section of AW linked to Biology that I am teaching now; while the
Academic Writing for Natural Science sections filled quickly and had
waiting lists, the Biology section remained less that half enrolled.  At
the beginning of the term I found that the section had been treated as a
"catch-all" for students who had had other registration diffculties.  In
other words, after the dust settled, I had a small class of students
most of whom didn't really care about the link, but had to have
a writing course, instead of a group who had chosen to focus on writing
in Biology.  So it is not a link, really.

Our Centre Director meets yearly with registration staff, and we have
written to the Dean of Arts and Science about this problem, so we can
hope something happens for next year.  Right now I am discouraged.

Secondly, and on a happier note, we at UofW are very fortunate to be
moving toward what Doug described as his ideal.

Doug Brent wrote:
> My ideal plan would see a central univeristy requirement that students
> can satisfy in one or a combination of a number of ways:
>
> - linked courses
> - generic or semigeneric writing courses (eg "Writing for the Social
> Sciences" etc)
> - WI courses that have been selected from pre-existing faculty offerings that are already writing intensive, perhaps with some tuneups.  These would necessarily be small sectioned courses.
> - WI courses created for the purpose by fairly significant restructuring of existing courses
> Both the last two options would be supported by a strong Writing Centre and by peer tutors (Writing Fellows, Rhetoric Associates, etc, as they are variously called) who would help others with writing in exchange for an honourarium, training, a course credit, etc.

Right now, most UofW students must take the Academic Writing course.
Only about 1/5th, I think, are exempted by high school grades.  We are
working to eliminate this exemption, because even though most students
must take the course, some students still feel they are the minority
dumbies in a remedial course.

Our move to offer a range of options within the Academic Writing course
is intended, among other very good reasons, to prepare for the time when
all students must take the course.  We made a start a few years ago
defining WI courses; this initiative could be reactivated in connection
with the other options.  We have a writing centre with potential for
work in WID.

Your list looks admirably complete, Doug.  It includes lots of variety.
May we all reach that ideal some day.

Barry Nolan
Instructor
Centre for Academic Writing