Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 16:58:26 -0500 (EST)
From: Bella Millett <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Medieval lectureship at Southampton University

Following in York's footsteps (and, we must confess, some of its
wording), the specifications for a new medieval post in the English
Department at Southampton:

Applications are invited for a permanent lectureship in Medieval
Literature and Culture (scale A/B) from 1 September 1998 or as soon
as possible thereafter. We will consider seriously any candidates who
are highly qualified within the period c. 1100 -- c. 1530, although
it is expected that the main focus of their undergraduate teaching
will be in fourteenth-century English literature. The successful
candidate will have a strong research profile, and will be equipped
to contribute to MA programmes in the School of Research and Graduate
Studies, including the MA in Medieval Culture. S/he will be expected
to share in the normal administrative duties of the Department, and
to contribute to the activities of the Wessex Medieval Centre.
The post is part of the University's programme for expanding the
English Department, which gained a Grade 4 in the last Research
Assessment Exercise, and an 'Excellent' in the Teaching Quality
Assessment. We particularly welcome applications from candidates in
those groups currently under-represented in the university system.
The closing date for applications is April 15, 1998. Interviews
should take place on Monday, May 11, 1998. For further particulars,
contact the Departmental Administrator, Ms. Wendy Allanach, tel.
01703-593410, email [log in to unmask]

Bella Millett