On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Thomas Larque wrote:

> I am currently beginning to research for an index / encyclopaedia of
> Shakespearean Adaptations  - novels, plays and poems which respond to or are
> based around Shakespeare's works - and would be very grateful for any
> suggestions of adaptations (especially less well known, newly performed or
> published, and out-of-print titles) which members of the list feel should be
> included in this index.

Oh, dear! This is irresistable. In the way of novels, there are
several of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books which owe more than a
passing nod to Shakespeare, including _Wyrd Sisters_ (Hamlet and the
Scottish Play) and _Lords and Ladies_ (A Midsummer Night's Dream). An
eccentric retired actor's views on The Tempest are central to the
plot of one of Mary Stewart's early novels (when she was still good),
whose name I shall remember as soon as this is sent: it's set on Corfu
and has a dolphin swimming in a bay.... Clemence Dane wrote a play
called (I think) _Young Will Shakespeare_ about (guess what), which
was popular in the 30's. Several of Ngaio Marsh's mysteries are set
among actors doing plays by or about Shakespeare.... That's all I can
think of off-hand and all quite in the lower reaches of pop culture!

Abigail