Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 08:36:37 -0600
From: Kristin Eldyss Sorensen Zapalac <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Brothel theatrics?

     From:
               Pamela A Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Colleagues:  Has anyone any references or information on women who may
have performed theatrically in brothels or as part of their roles as
courtesans? I am aware of the lit. on Italian courtesans as
musician-dancers-poets, and some of that on prostitutes in Italy and
England, but not in other countries. I am also aware of the
courtesan-commedia troupe link (i.e., that divas such as Isabella
Andreini
may have been trained as courtesans). I am pursuing the hunch that a
famous English reference to "harlotry players" may be more than basic
anti-theatricalism comparing actors to whores.

Pam Brown
English
Univ. of Connecticut, Stamford