>I have also experienced  a virus (concept) which attaches itself to word
>documents and caused damage to my files.
>So, I agree that we must be careful so that we do not download some
>macro's with documents. My virus program (PCCillan) did not detect the
>virus.

The answer to this is to set up your computer to only open messages from
the Internet, whether e-mail or downloads, in a plain-text program such as
Notepad.  The macro viruses only work in MS Word, because the macro language
or VBA language processor is turned on. It is this command language that
activates the virus, not the macro as such. Plain-text programs have no such
command language.  The other possibility is to turn off the macro or VBA
languages in your word processor by default, and only turn them on as
needed.

And, before anyone asks, NO, I can't/won't tell you how to do this! <rueful
grin>
It is too big a subject, given the different computers/operating
systems/word processors/versions out there.

In MS Word 97 for the PC/Windows 95 system I use, the menu commands are
Tools/Options/General/Macro Virus Protection.

If you read your e-mail in an e-mail program such as MS Mail, Eudora,
Pegasus, etc., these macro viruses CAN NOT work, as these program runs no
commands from the text.

Jim
 Jim Slattery - [log in to unmask]
 Central West PD Web