   Hi

I seem again to be at odds with  everybody elses opinion ,But here
is my story .
  I have been using my computer for internet access for the kast 3
years ( email,newsgroups and lists   ;    NO FTP ) . 9 months ago I
did a defrag and all hell broke lose . I insisted it was a virus but
was told definately notby computer knowledgeable friends .
 Various( 4) antivirus programs I tried named different viruses . The
latest program I ran named it "parity boot.enc " and supposedly got
rid of it . I cannot guarantee that it did not come from another
source but there is a strong possibility it came from the internet as
my computer gets very little from other sources .
   I prop[ose the following method of transfer( viruses require a
method of transfer from file to file ). Object arrives at offline
reader  and attaches itself unanounced to your reader . There it sits
waiting for the defrag . When you defrag it uses the frag prog to
insert itself where it wants . I dont know if this is possible but I
cant see why not .
  I am a little sceptical of this virus alert as this virus seems to
have made some 3 mutations
  1) get accross the barrier of the offline mail reader and into your
computer
  2) move easily from file to file in your computer
  3)demolish all the files
I however do not share the general view expressed in this list that
one cannot be infected by email .Where there is a will there is a way
. There is bound to be an email transferable virus sometime just as in my view
there is bound to be a cure for all PD .
     peace
          Alastair     ( [log in to unmask] )