------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BD4672.F3A5FE40

Dear List,

I was recently surfing for information on stuttering for a friend's =
friend.  One of the theories was that an excess of dopamine was =
partially responsible.  In fact some dopamine antagonists help to =
alleviate the speech blocks that  are most troubleing for this =
frustrating malady.  It is especially tough on teens.  The following is =
a passage from a web site for stuttering located at =
http://www.casafuturatech.com . =20
"Stutterers have decreased medial system activity during both stuttering =
and fluent speech (chorus reading). They have decreased lateral system =
activity during stuttering, and increased lateral activity during fluent =
speech (Wu, 1997).=20
Glyndon Riley, Joseph Wu, and Gerald Maguire (1997) propose that the =
medial system is affected by the D2 dopamine modulation system. This =
includes the substantia nigra and its circuit to the striatum. Dopamine =
is the neurotransmitter that produces alertness, motivation, and mental =
acuity. In stutterers, excess dopamine may reach the striatum and reduce =
activation, making these areas less effective.=20

The dopamine system may explain why stutterers have "good days," when =
they easily speak fluently, and "bad days," when they can't get a word =
out without a hard block. Dopamine levels vary with diet and other =
factors.

Of course the young man who had trouble with stuttering is a very giving =
person.  It is a shame.  He tries so hard to fight it.  This is in fact =
counterproductive.  The harder one tries to not stutter the more his/her =
body reacts to block speach.  Another thing that I want to mention is =
that a stutterer usually does not want people to finish sentences as =
this often creates more of an explanation and well you get the idea.=20

I was wondering has anybody else noticed that they stutter when they =
have lot of Dyskinesias.  I had often struggled with this =
pre-pallidotomy.  I was one that tended to take a bit more medication =
than necessary to avoid off-time.  It seems the only time I had trouble =
with speech was during an overmedicated period. This would in fact help =
explain the  excess dopamine theory.

Speeking of pallidotomy, a friend of mine, Bill Putnam of Hanover, NH is =
scheduled for a Pallidotomy tomorrow at Dartmouth/Hitchcock Hospital in =
Hanover.  Dr. David Roberts will be in charge.  I meet with him today to =
discuss having a matched set.  At the moment, I am leaning on waiting to =
see what happens in the next year with Parkinson's research and the =
Udall approptaitions.  I know everyone in the Parkinson's Community =
wishes the best of luck and that the Lord is watching over our friend =
Bill Putnam tomorrow.  As usually is the case Bill is a really great =
guy.  I met him thru a program Dr. Roberts runs where  potential =
patients talk at length to someone close in age that has had a =
Pallidotomy.  I am going  to visit with Bill this afternoon after my =
consultation.

By the way I will publish the results of the Aneastesia survey tomorrow.

Curious and empathetic to a young man's plight,

Greg Leeman 37/7 This is the seventh aniversary to my diagnosis.

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BD4672.F3A5FE40

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Dear List,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I was recently surfing for =
information on=20
stuttering for a friend's friend.&nbsp; One of the theories was that an =
excess=20
of dopamine was partially responsible.&nbsp; In fact some dopamine =
antagonists=20
help to alleviate the speech blocks that&nbsp; are most troubleing for =
this=20
frustrating malady.&nbsp; It is especially tough on teens.&nbsp; The =
following=20
is a passage from a web site for stuttering located at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.casafuturatech.com">http://www.casafuturatech.com</A> =
.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000=20
size=3D2><EM>&quot;Stutterers have decreased medial system activity =
during both=20
stuttering and fluent speech (chorus reading). They have decreased =
lateral=20
system activity during stuttering, and increased lateral activity during =
fluent=20
speech (Wu, 1997). </EM></DIV>
<DIV>
<P><EM>Glyndon Riley, Joseph Wu, and Gerald Maguire (1997) propose that =
the=20
medial system is affected by the D2 dopamine modulation system. This =
includes=20
the substantia nigra and its circuit to the striatum. Dopamine is the=20
neurotransmitter that produces alertness, motivation, and mental acuity. =
In=20
stutterers, excess dopamine may reach the striatum and reduce =
activation, making=20
these areas less effective. </EM>
<P><EM>The dopamine system may explain why stutterers have &quot;good=20
days,&quot; when they easily speak fluently, and &quot;bad days,&quot; =
when they=20
can't get a word out without a hard block. Dopamine levels vary with =
diet and=20
other factors.</EM></P>
<P>Of course the young man who had trouble with stuttering is a very =
giving=20
person.&nbsp; It is a shame.&nbsp; He tries so hard to fight it.&nbsp; =
This is=20
in fact counterproductive.&nbsp; The harder one tries to not stutter the =
more=20
his/her body reacts to block speach.&nbsp; Another thing that I want to =
mention=20
is that a stutterer usually does not want people to finish sentences as =
this=20
often creates more of an explanation and well you get the idea. </P>
<P>I was wondering has anybody else noticed that they stutter when they =
have lot=20
of Dyskinesias.&nbsp; I had often struggled with this =
pre-pallidotomy.&nbsp; I=20
was one that tended to take a bit more medication than necessary to =
avoid=20
off-time.&nbsp; It seems the only time I had trouble with speech was =
during an=20
overmedicated period. This would in fact help explain the&nbsp; excess =
dopamine=20
theory.</P>
<P>Speeking of pallidotomy, a friend of mine, Bill Putnam of Hanover, NH =
is=20
scheduled for a Pallidotomy tomorrow at Dartmouth/Hitchcock Hospital in=20
Hanover.&nbsp; Dr. David Roberts will be in charge.&nbsp; I meet with =
him today=20
to discuss having a matched set.&nbsp; At the moment, I am leaning on =
waiting to=20
see what happens in the next year with Parkinson's research and the =
Udall=20
approptaitions.&nbsp; I know everyone in the Parkinson's Community =
wishes the=20
best of luck and that the Lord is watching over our friend Bill Putnam=20
tomorrow.&nbsp; As usually is the case Bill is a really great guy.&nbsp; =
I met=20
him thru a program Dr. Roberts runs where&nbsp; potential patients talk =
at=20
length to someone close in age that has had a Pallidotomy.&nbsp; I am=20
going&nbsp; to visit with Bill this afternoon after my =
consultation.&nbsp;</P>
<P>By the way I will publish the results of the Aneastesia survey =
tomorrow.</P>
<P>Curious and empathetic to a young man's plight,</P>
<P>Greg Leeman 37/7 This is the seventh aniversary to my diagnosis.</P>
<P><A =
href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A></P>
<P>&nbsp;</P></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BD4672.F3A5FE40--