newspaper article with respect to the approval of Mirapex in Canada the
following is an extract from the February 24th edition of the OTTAWA
CITIZEN under the heading of 'PARKINSON'S SUFFERERS ENJOY RELIEF WITH
NEW DRUG and a byline of 'Mirapex works in early and late stages of
disease: By Gina Harris:-

'Calgarian Jim Michie gave up his job selling real estate seven years
ago after Parkinson's disease made his movements uncontrollable. Last
June he laced up his skates asnd played hockey with the Vancouver Canuck
Oldtimers.
Mirapex, a new drug for the treatment of Parkinson's  is responsible for
the change in Mr. Michie's condition.
"Up until now we haven't had a lot of treatment for Parkinson's
disease,"says Dr. Oksana Suchowersky, a Calgary doctor who is one of a
handful of experts on movement disorders in Canada." I think it
(Mirapex) is a significant step forward because it gives us a new drug
that's not only effective, but easy to use for patients and doctors.
It's less complicated than that what we had before."
Mirapex is a dopamine agonist. Older dopamine agonists casused upset
stomachs and nausea. To reduce side-effects, the dosage had to be
increased slowly. It took two to three months before the dosage level
was high enough to benefit the patient.
With Mirapex, the dosage can be increased much faster so the patient
feels better in three weeks. It is also an improvement over older drugs
because it is effective in both early and late stages of Parkinson's. It
also acts as a mild anti-depreasant a bonus, since half of all
Parkinson's patients suffer from depression.
The most common treatment for Parkinson's disease is a drug called
levadopa (L-dopa). Although it works reasonably well for the first three
or four years, it loses its effect over time. for unknoiwn reasons.
Mirapex controls earlly symptoms of the disease without using L-dopa,
and can be used to treat later stages of the disease in combination with
L-dopa.
Parkinson's affects 100,000 Canadians. It is caused by a lack of the
chemical dopamine in the brain. Symptoms start with a bit of slowness,
stiffness in the hands, turning into tremors. Other symptoms include
difficulty walking or standing, loss of facial expression, sleep
disturbances, speech problems, drooling and depression. Over a number of
years the symptoms progress to the point where the body is frozen.'

Sounds like a positive endorsement for Mirapex! In my own case I have
been using L-dopa for aboout a year with positive results with the
exception of an increasing tremor in my jaw. I have booked a meeting
with my neuro next month to discuss this problem and the likely
prescription for Mirapex.

Ken Clements                                                        <

64/2
Ottawa  CANADA