Don,
It is indeed a perplexing problem.  It is like PD in that when you or
someone else says "slow down, don't get exited or take a deep breath" it
actually exacerbates the blocking.  It is frustrating when someone calls
that person a stutterer.  It is a person that stutters.  Not a stutterer
that is a person.  There is not a lot known about this problem.   Theory is
a terrific thing, it seems to make for plenty of experts.  We definitely
already know this from the malady we share.  Let us all take a deep breath
and let out as much understanding and empathy we can muster.   I know from
your posts Don, that you display as much empathy and understanding as
anyone.  Let us hope that everyone follows your lead.
On another subject, I have with the advice of my Neurosurgeon decided to
take at least 6 mos. to wait and see about the second phase of pallidotomy.
With turmoil at my office and the fact that we think I am  doing well, it
seems to be the best approach at this time.  I am sure all you would like to
join in a "List-serve prayer" for Bill Putnam who will be undergoing
Pallidotomy under the careful eye of Dr. David Roberts.  Dr. Roberts has
agreed to set up an informational meeting at a support group meeting for our
local group..  He really is very even handed in his approach to pallidotomy.
He will not perform a pallidotomy that does not have a chance or need.  He
explained to me that the meeting will be very straightforward as to the
symptoms of a  good candidate.
Regards,
Greg Leeman 37/7