Looking To Lasso A Partner, But on the Ride to Market, Who Will Hold the
Reins?

Monday, March 2, 1998; Page F15

Richard Garr, president and CEO of NeuralStem Biopharmaceuticals Ltd., thinks
he has a drug that could ease the suffering of the millions of Americans with
Parkinson's disease and other degenerative disorders. Now all he has to do is
get it to market. That's easier said than done.

As every biotech company knows, the road to market is fraught with failed
research, clinical trials that go awry and cash that vanishes faster than you
can count it. After years of hard work, a company can still end up with
nothing to sell.

Garr's plan -- and it's one shared by virtually all biotech executives -- is
to hook up with a drug giant. The idea is to find someone with the know-how to
run clinical trials, the savvy to navigate the regulatory process and the
sales force to take the drug beyond the laboratory walls -- all without losing
control of the drug that is his company's brainchild.

"Nobody cares as much about your product as you do," Garr said. "That's our
single most important consideration, that we keep control of our own destiny,
our technology."

But when it comes to corporate alliances, his two-year-old College Park
company is a wide-eyed innocent. Part of the University of Maryland's
technology incubator program, NeuralStem has lots of promise but no profit.
It's got blockbuster technology but no major investors. To make a go of it,
NeuralStem has to find a dance partner.

"If you're an unknown biotech and you can do a deal with Glaxo Wellcome or
someone, it's going to do a lot to your credibility," said Erik Rule, a
partner at Coopers & Lybrand Consulting in Toronto. "You're just going to get
the halo effect. It's going to make it easier for you to do other deals, raise
capital, do an IPO."

Garr said NeuralStem is in discussions with several big-name drug companies
for rights to develop its potential gene therapy treatment for symptoms of
Parkinson's disease, which affects about 2 million Americans.

The company is looking for a deal that could bring in about $200 million
before the drug reaches market. NeuralStem's treatment is based on technology
developed at the National Institutes of Health by scientist Karl Johe.

Essentially, the technology enables scientists to grow neurons in a laboratory
and then surgically put those cells into the brain of a patient suffering from
a wide array of degenerative diseases, including Huntington's disease,
Alzheimer's disease and spinal cord injuries. (NeuralStem is initially
concentrating on the Parkinson's treatment, which is being tested in rodents.)

The cells, which would be put in a syringe and injected as liquid into the
brain, would replace the cells that are lost or damaged by the disease, the
company believes.

A sense of urgency drives Garr, a 45-year-old lawyer by training. He knows the
pain that a brain illness can cause; a few years ago, his 4-year-old son had
surgery to remove a brain tumor.

The treatment and rehabilitation process was long and hard, although his son
has now fully recovered. "It's a labor of love; fighting for what we believe
we have is very easy," he said.

Johe and Garr met several years ago when their sons were classmates in
Potomac. Garr persuaded Johe to leave NIH and bring his technology with him to
start a company.

Garr raised several million dollars from investors and when NIH agreed to let
Johe have the rights to commercialize his technology, NeuralStem was born.
Today, the company has no revenue and a dozen employees, all of whom are
scientists except for Garr.

NeuralStem began shopping around for a pharmaceutical partner not long after
the company was formed in 1996. It was hard getting noticed at first. "I
knocked on every door till they opened; I literally cornered people in
elevators," he recalled.

The patent for NeuralStem's technology was approved in January and since then
the pace of its discussions with the drug companies has picked up
considerably, Garr said.

In all this negotiating and deal-making, Garr has one major concern: how to
keep enough control of the product so that 10 years from now, if it actually
makes it to market, his company isn't left with a sea of regrets and no
profit.

Which is why NeuralStem is waiting for the right deal. "We could have already
done several deals," Garr said. But he's holding out for an arrangement that
gives his company half of any sales that may result from its technology.

Biotech companies rarely have the upper hand in negotiating these
partnerships, warns Harvard Business School professor Josh Lerner. He said
alliances with drug firms have become the single largest source of financing
for biotech companies in recent years.

The alliances are an alternative to the stock market for biotech companies
seeking capital. Biotech shares are notoriously volatile. Garr said he
realizes the 50-50 split isn't the norm, but he's confident NeuralStem will be
able to secure the control it wants.

"Our real leverage comes from the actual substance of our science," he said.
"We have the actual drug, the actual therapy. No one else is in our playing
field in terms of the science."

Still, Garr admits it is tough not to give in to the lure of easy cash. "We're
at the point where we really need the money," he said. Garr said he is
prepared to pound the pavement for more money, perhaps seeking out venture
capital, if he can't forge the kind of deal he wants.

He estimates that the company needs $30 million to cover the cost of initial
tests on human patients, which could start next year. Experts said that the
optimism felt by Garr and other first-time deal seekers is typical. It quickly
turns to pragmatism.

"They start out saying, 'The world's my oyster,' " said Mark Edwards, managing
director of Recombinant Capital, a San Francisco consulting firm specializing
in biotech alliances and capitalization. "Later they say, 'The world's the
world and I may be an oyster in it.' "

Copyright 1998 The Washington Post Company

janet paterson
50-9 / sinemet-selegiline-prozac
almonte-ontario-canada / [log in to unmask]