In a consult with the Movement Disorder Clinic at Tampa General Hospital,
sponsored by the University of South Florida, we saw Dr. Friedlander and
Dr. Hauser.  They prescribed Tolcapone for my husband (79/1) to be added to
the Sinemet he already takes.  After taking Tolcapone with the usual 2
pills of 25/100 Sinemet daily, for two weeks, he was to gradually increase
the Sinemet up to four pills per day unless good results were got with a
lower dose.

The pharmacist at Walgreen's said that he did not have Tolcapone, that his
drug supplier did not have it and he had "no clue" when he would be getting
it.  He asked me if I could tell him who the manufacturer is.  He then
suggested that when I find out who makes Tolcapone, that I call them to
find out when it will be available.

When I called back to the clinic to tell them that the drug they prescribed
is not available and will not be available in the near future, the nurse
suggested that we continue "just what you are doing" until the next
appointment.  When I asked if he should increase the Sinemet since the
Tolcapone is not available, she said, "you can do that if you want to."

If I am to treat my husband as I want to, what did Medicare and the
insurance company pay them the big bucks for?

I won't go into the details of the consult itself except to say I was not
entirely satisfied. However, I did not make the mistake I made with the
last neuro (who fired us on the third visit) by letting on that I knew
anything at all.

If there is anyone who can tell me the name of the drug company that makes
Tolcapone, and their phone number, I would appreciate it.

Ellen Peck  CG for Stephen (79/1)  Tampa