From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of Ivan M Suzman
Sent:   Saturday, February 28, 1998 9:53 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Re: Parkinson Ribbon?

^^^^^^WARM GREETINGS  FROM^^^^^^^^^^
Ivan Suzman  48/10         [log in to unmask]
Portland, Maine   land of lighthouses     deg. F

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998 15:36:48 -0800 [log in to unmask] writes:
>Recently at a local meeting I received a pin. It is a lavendar colored
>ribbon. Does this represent Parkinson's Disease?

Dear dk,

  People with Parkinson's have not yet unified behind a color or a symbol
that represents our struggle.  Personally, I have been leaning towards
the hand lighting the Olympic torch (Muhammad Ali's).  The Canadians
traditionally use , I think, a red tulip.  I heard that Atlanta madea
beautiful pin with a rising sun.

   The lavendar ribbon represents gay men, bisexuals and lesbians, and
their loved ones,to fight prejudices against all of  them.  Gay men in
particular have suffered ENORMOUS discrimination because they are
"blamed" for the AIDS epidemic.  The RED ribbon is worn to remember the
suffering of those who have died from AIDS, and to unite to fight for the
cure. The Lavendar ribbon evolved from this red ribbon!

Hopefully we PWP's and CG's will find a color and a symbol at some point.

.
Ivan Suzman
48/10